Lil' Aubrey

The day to day ramblings of a newly adopted 6-month old girl, and all the wacky things that make up her life. If you even mention the fact that I'm too young to have a blog, I'm gonna' get cranky. You wouldn't like me cranky!

Friday, November 26, 2004

My First Thanksgiving

The day started like any other...I'm awake, I'm smiling, then crying, then smiling again...then Mommy got me dressed. My brother picked out the outfit because he thought that yellow would be more "Thanksgivingey". Fine. I can deal with yellow. I could have done without the striped onesey underneath that made my hips look big...but I dealt. Then Mommy put a headband on me. A big, bright, yellow headband. I felt like I should have been in workout gear, listening to Olivia Newton-John singing "Let's Get Physical". I've decided that other than hair, I'm going to have to avoid having things on my head for a while. As you can tell by the picture, I did manage to convince them to take it off my head.

Lately, I've been having trouble with naps. To the despair of my parents, I'm only napping in ten minute stretches. I usually try to coordinate my waking up with interrupting particular things that Mommy and Daddy do....Oh Please! I'm barely 6 months old! I'm not even thinking about that yet! I mean interrupting things like: Toilet Use, Showers, Dog Washing, Sitting Down, Laying Down, or any version of "Thank God she's finally asleep". So by the time people started showing up, I was good and grumpy. Daddy went and screwed it up for me though. He brought me to my crib and started rubbing my back. That just wasn't fair. He knows that backrubs make me pass out. So I slept for almost two hours. Who knows what happened during that time? Don't they know I'm supposed to see everything so that I can report about it on my blog?

Turkey Time! Everybody was getting themselves big plates of food, and there was a LOT of food. Of course, none of it was for me...and I was hoping for some of that cranberry sauce. It was shiny and red and I'm sure that I could have swallowed it. But at least Mommy gave me my sweet potato mush...She knows that I love sweet potato mush, or as I call it, SPM. Mmmm...SPM....I heart you....Then came the kicker. Mom put a bowl of white stuff on my tray. It sure looked like whipped cream...It sure smelled like whipped cream....and I'm sure that it had half the calories of whipped cream. I was really hesitant about digging in with my hands, but Mommy helped me out. Oh...you sugary heavenly goodness! This stuff definitely has my vote as the best mush I've tasted yet! In what seemed like a natural thing to do, I actually picked up a spoon and used it to scoop up some of the stuff and then put the spoon in my mouth. Apparently, this is not a normal thing for a 6-month old to do, but I'd just gotten my nails done that morning, and I certainly wasn't going to be scraping dried Cool Whip out from under my nails all night long. I ate up a whole bunch of this stuff, and then I was full. (See picture) Oh boy, was I full. I needed to nap NOW!!! Then all of a sudden I got a rush of energy. For the next two hours I was a perpetual motion machine. I didn't stop kicking my legs, I didn't stop digging my head into Daddy's shoulder, I gave Daddy a titty-twister, I cried, I had about a hundred bottles of Isomil, and I refused to nap. Mommy and Daddy were clueless about why I was being so difficult (well, having a dirty diaper didn't help either), but once they realized that I basically main-lined sugar, it all became very clear. They just waited for me to crash. And as you can see by the picture, I crashed hard. Where are you my comfy crib? You call to me...."Aubrey? Aubrey? Come lay down on my soft sheets and vomit on them....Grab your favorite plush animal and suck on its ear until it becomes sopping wet....Please drool on my comforter, so that it can smell like sour soy milk all night long....Come to me Aubrey...come to me...." And like the Phantom of the Opera, I did......so with a merry giggle and a bloodcurdling screech, I wish you all a Happy Thanksgiving. I am thankful for my new life and my new family and for all of you who continue to think happy thoughts of me...but most of all, I am thankful that I am Aubrey - Queen of the Cool Whip & SPM Universe!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home